Mayonnaise is a thick dressing used as a condiment or a dressing for salads.It varies in colour often white, cream or pale and may also carry in texture too from that of light cream to a thick gell.
Mayonnaise is known as a mother sauce this is because it is the base for other sauces and classic salad dressings.
Mayonnaise has various ingredients
- Egg yolks
- Ground white paper
- French mustard
- White wine vinegar or table vinegar
- A few drops of Worcestershire Sauce
A pasteurised egg is used to prevent spread of salmonella because the egg is raw. The mustard acts as a seasoning agent and helps the vinegar and the oil to bind. While the vinegar makes the mayonnaise thin, white and enhances the taste of the mayo.
BASIC RECIPE (1 lt)
- 5 Eggs
- 8 – 10gr Salt
- 1gr White pepper
- 1 teaspoon French mustard
- 1/ 4dl white vinegar (wine)
- 8dl oil
- Half lemon(juice)
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce
- Place the egg yolks in a stainless bowl. Add the mustard, salt, papper, vinegar ,Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice
- Whisk these ingredients to a creamy consistency (the mixture may thicken slightly)
- Now add the oil-first in a thin trickle, whisking constantly then add more until all the oil has been incorporated.
- When the sauce needs thinning for any purpose, do so by using warm water or little vinegar. Correct seasoning after the thinning
- If the mayonnaise curdles quickly whisk an egg(yolk) and add it to the mixture
- Causes of curdling of mayo
- Using very cold oil
- Adding oil too quickly
- If egg basic mix is not whisked frotty
As a MOTHER SAUCE various basic cold sauces can be derived from it:
Cocktail sauce:mayonaise,tomato ketchup, little tomato paste, little brandy few drops of orange juice salt, white pepper, little chilli powder, few drops of tobasco.Goes well with cocktail biting.
Thousand island : mayonnaise,Tomato sauce,herbs(parsley).Goes well with Cocktail bitings.
Tartare Sauce: mayo, hard boiled egg (chopped), capers(chopped),pickled Gherkins (chopped fine), onions (chopped and glazed or blanched to enhance shelf life), parsley .Goes well fish.
Ranch dressing : A little sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions ,garlic, permesan cheese. Goes well with grilled steaks
Lime mayonnaise : mayonnaise and lime juice. Goes well with fish.
Remoulade Sauce: mayonnaise (1cup) , mustard(1/4)
paprika(1tsp),Cajun powder(1 tsp) ,horseradish sauce(2 tsp), tobasco 1tsp) 1 clove of garlic (minced or smashed), 1 teaspoon lemon juice Goes well with shrimp and crab cakes.
It can also be used as a substitute for ketchup with fries.
Mayonnaise is a vast sauce and many many other sauces can be derived from it.