My grandmother was a great cook. I loved all the meals she skillfully prepared especially when it came to anything to do with fish. Fish has always been one of my favourite meals.
The name fish fingers come from the fact that the fish are shaped like normal human being fingers and also take the length of a human finger.
Here is one of my grandma’s famous fish finger recipes.
INGREDIENTS (recipe quantity 10 portions)
- 1.3 kg Fish Fillet
- 10ml Milk
- Salt and pepper
- 40ml dark soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 100g self raising flour
- 100g Bread crumbs
- 6 eggs.
- In a bowl, break and combine the eggs and the milk together and mix well.In separate bowls place the flour and breadcrumbs.
- Cut the fillet into chunky strips and season it with a little salt and pepper then marinate it in the soy saucefor 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the fish is marinated, dust the pieces all over with flour. Ensure that it is well dusted to ensure the egg coats with it well.
- Rub the pieces in your hands to form a cylindrical like shape or you can leave them the way they are.
- Dip the fish in the egg mixture and remove immediately.
- Coat the fish finger with bread crumbs all over.
- Deep fry them in hot oil till they are golden brown.
- Serve with lemon wedges and garnish with Dill.
Fish fingers are often served as cocktail items or at times as an accompaniment for starches like French fries.
Fish fingers can be served with the following sauces. : mayonnaise or any sauce derived from mayonnaise, tomato sauce or chilli dip