Growing up as a child I loved stews because of the rich flavor that they had and obviously because of the sauce which many people call soup. The main reason why I love stews they go well with any starch eg:maize meal, rice, pasta,potatoes ….you name it the list is endless.
From the name of the dish you can easily tell that it originated from Hungary and the name goulash means a highly seasoned Hungarian soup or stew of meat and vegetables, flavored with paprika.
This dish is amazing in all ways coz it has a sort of hot and sweet flavor. Well it can be called Beef goulash or just beef stew, this is because it’s preparation is just like ordinary stew. Here’s how to make your very own Hungarian Goulash.
You will need beef stock or brown stock
BEEF STOCK (RECIPE QTY 10LT)
- 5KG beef bones (chopped small)
- 500g bouquet garni
- 1 bay leaf
- 20 peppercorns (crushed)
- 12lt salt
- plave bones into a pot, add cold water, blanch(cook shortly in the water) drain and refresh (add more water)
- Place bones into a clean stock pot,add cold water and bring to boiling point.
- Skim off all the scum add the bouquet garni, spices and salt and simmer for 3hrs(cook under low heat)
- Skim frequently
- Strain gently, recoil once, skim again then allow to cool
- When the stock is at room temperature store in the fridge
Bouquet Garni : a bundle of aromantic vegetables and herbs. Cut the onion into half place a bay leaf on it and said it with the cloves.
If you don’t have available beef bones you can bring some water to boil then add some beef stock cubes.
INGREDIENTS (RECIPE QTY 10 PORTIONS)
- 1.6KG Beef (cut into dices as for beef stew)
- 900gr Onions (finely diced)
- 5 Cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 60gr Corn oil
- 80gr Tomato paste
- 40gr Paprika powder
- 30ml Red wine
- 3pinch Carraway seeds (chopped)
- Little Lemon Skin (grated)
- 60ml Brown stock or beef stock
- Pepper powder
- Heat the oil Jan a shallow stewing pan. Season the meat with salt and pepper then place it into the pan and fry shortly all round.
- Add onions and garlic, cover with lead and sweat for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add paprika, mix well, sweat again for about 5 minutes stirring from time to time.
- Add the red wine and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, sweat shortly add the beef mix well and add the beef stock.
- Bring to boil, lower the heat and stew it in the oven at medium heat for 1 hour 30minutes approximately or untill the meat is tender. If the sauce has reduced you can add some stock, bring it to boil then return it in the oven.
- Remove the meat and place it aside in a clean cooking pot, keep it hot.
- Mash the sauce through a food mill or blender.
- Recoil the sauce add caraway and lemon skin taste and correct seasoning and consistency. The consistency of the sauce should not be runny. If it is runny make a mixture using some cornstarch and water. Add it to the sauce and bring to boil.
- Place the meat into the hot sauce, reheat and serve.
- To spice up your goulash you can add ready blanched vegetables like carrots and potatoes during the last procedure of recoiling the sauce and the meat
The goulash goes well with a variety of starches :
Rice,Potatoes, Pasta, Chapati etc
Enjoy your beef goulash 😀