Potatoes as a starch are very easy to work with and very versatile. You can create many potatoes dishes from mashed potatoes,french fries, gratin potatoes, potato crisps, duchess potatoes, dauphin potatoes… Potatoes creates a very wide variety of recipes, which brings out different flavours.
I love making scalloped potatoes I find it very easy.The monray sauce(cheese sauce) gives it such a unique mouth watering flavor.
INGREDIENTS. (serves 6)
- 300g onions (finely sliced)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1kg potatoes, sliced thinly
- 250ml milk,cold.
- 125g Grated cheddar cheese
- 100g Parmesan cheese
- 5g paprika powder
- 20g butter
- 40g flour
- Pre-heat oven at 180 degrees.
- Wash your potatoes well and using a mandolin ,slice the potatoes into thin slices.
- Melt the butter in a cooking pan and add the flour.This mixture is called roux.
- Add the milk and using a whisk ,whisk vigorously to prevent the formation of lumps. Add the cheese inside and mix well till it melt.This is called monray (cheese) sauce.
- Add some little butter and brown the sliced onions.
- In a baking tray layer the browned onions and ontop of the onions align your sliced potatoes.
- Pour the monray sauce, sprinkle the paprika powder and the grated Parmesan cheese.