Yes rice can also be used as a salad. I love this salad mainly because the choice of the vegetables used are crunchy and the dressing has a mixture of sweet and sour flavor. The use of bell papers, tomatoes and onions also make the dish very colorful. This is a universally popular salad that lends itself to endless variations and is a staple food of summer buffets and vegetables.
- 275 g / 1 1/2 Cups of white long grain rice.
- 1 bunch of spring onions ( scallions) finely sliced.
- 1 green and 1 yellow bell pepper finely diced.
- 225 g tomatoes peeled and deseeded.
- Chopped coriander.
- 3 tbsp of sunflower oil
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of rice vinegar
- 1 tsp of Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring some water to boil then add your rice. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until it is tender but still al dente (firm when bitten). Do not overcook. Drain the rice in a colander then rinse under cold water, drain again and leave to cool.
The method of preparing the rice is called blanching, process where a food item is scaled in boiling water, removed after a short period of time then passed through cold water of ice cubes in a process known as shocking. This is done so as to stop the cooking of the food. During blanching the food item is normally not cooked fully but rather cooked to al dente. When cooking rice it is advisable to use long grain rice, because short grain rice is rather sticky and it is best used in preparations like sushi, risottos and rice cakes.
If you want to know you have overcooked the rice, the grains will rapture and the rice will appear somehow cut into two.
2. Place the rice in a large serving bowl and add the spring onions ,peppers , tomatoes and coriander.
There are two methods of peeling tomatoes. You can either peeling them directly the way potatoes are normally peeled, or you can blanch them in water. Most chefs will advice one to blanch the potatoes because it will incur less wastage compared to directly peeling.
3.To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk vigorously till all the ingredients are mixed well. Pour the dressing onto the rice and mix well.
4.Cover it and chill for about one hour before serving.
If you do not have rice you can choose to substitute with cous cous.