As a kid, I hated vegetables that I was not familiar with apart from kales, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, and onions. The first time I made this soup was in culinary school and I remember my chef, lecturer performing a demo in class. Once he was done he asked us all to taste the soup because we would perform an individual practical session on the same in the afternoon class. When my turn arrived, I remember being rather very skeptical because of my dislike for vegetables, but as soon as I tasted the soup, I was in love and immediately it became one of my favorite soups.
Vichyssoise is a French term meaning a potato leek soup which can be served either hot or cold. The zucchini is incorporated into the recipe to add a fresher and finer taste, making it a substitute ingredient. The incorporation of cream brings out a whole new flavor for the soup.
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter.
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- 5 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (use 4 to 8 leeks depending on their size) roughly chopped
- 2 whole zucchinis, roughly chopped
- 8 small white potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup of cooking cream.
- Leeks somehow resemble spring onions so be careful not to buy the wrong ingredient. While using leeks you have to wash them very carefully because some soil tends to hide in between the leaves of the leek, therefore, you have to thoroughly clean them.
- Cut the dark green part of the leek off because they tend to be too tough to be eaten, however, they can be used in the preparation of stock.
- Take the remaining white stalk, cut off the root end and slice the leek in half lengthwise.
- Hold the leeks under running water, separating the layers slightly to remove the dirt inside. Once you are done roughly chop the leeks.
- Carefully wash your potatoes and zucchini and roughly chop them. Always place potatoes in a bowl of water after chopping them to prevent them from turning black on the outer surface (oxidation)
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a large cooking pot, add the leeks and sauté over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Add the potatoes, zucchini, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for half an hour.
- Once cooked allow the soup to cool for a while. In a blender add the ingredients all together and blend until the mixture is fine. Return the mixture to the cooking pot and add the cooking cream as you stir consistently. Correct the seasoning (salt and pepper) if necessary. You can serve it hot with some bread rolls or allow it to cool then serve with some bread rolls.
- While serving you can garnish with chopped chives and/or zucchini.